Job Title/Position: Billing Specialist
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Billing Specialist is responsible for the accurate and timely completion and submission of Medicare, Medicaid, private payer and patient billing, and accounts receivable tracking and follow-up.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Accurately enters patient billing data, including visit charges and supply chargers, into the information system.
- Accurately processes and bills, Medicare, Medicaid, private payer and patient claims in accordance with payer requirements and organization policy.
- Assists in the preparation of monthly billing and accounts receivable reports.
- Maintains accurate Medicare and Medicaid billing analysis reports.
- Maintains complete and accurate billing and accounts receivable records.
- Prepares Medicare, Medicaid, private payer and patient remittance for data entry.
- Alerts appropriate management team members regarding late or missing documents required for billing.
- Assists with the collection of receivables by monitoring accounts receivables, resubmitting bills to overdue accounts, and alerting the billing manager of seriously overdue accounts.
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with patients, payers, and other customers.
- Maintains the confidentiality of patient and organization information at all times.
- Performs other specific projects relating to billing, data entry, and computer operations as required.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those stated in this description.
- Preferred two (2) years experience in health care data entry, preferable in hospice systems.
- At least one (1) year of pervious health care related experience, preferably in hospice care billing.
- Able to use IBM-compatible systems and equipment.
- Is a high school graduate or equivalent, two (2) years college preferred.
- Attention to detail.